hyperpigmentation Pigmentation Causes cure Treatment and Prevention
Pigmentation is the term generally used for the discoloring or appearing of patches on one’s skin, due to an imbalance in the amount of melanin. Melanin is a substance present in our skin whose amount determines our skin color When our skin cells become damaged or unhealthy due to an illness or injury the production of melanin is affected. This causes the skin color to undergo unusual changes and for distorted patches to occur.
Table of Contents
Pigmentation is one of the most common medical conditions which affect people of all ages today. Pigmentation may be classified into two types: hyper pigmentation and hyperpigmentation.
Hyper pigmentation is caused when the level of melanin in our skin becomes extremely high and hypo pigmentation is caused when the level of melanin in our skin becomes extremely low.
These categories may be further classified into six sub types of pigmentation, based on their causes: –
- · Ephelides or freckles
- · Melasma
- · Chloasma
- · Solar Lentigines
- · PIH or Post Inflammatory Pigmentation
- · Dark Circles around the eyes
Thus, keeping this in mind, we can now closely look at the causes of pigmentation in general.
- Sun exposure: The longest number of hours that our skin is exposed to the harsh rays of the sun, causes our hands to burn and form dark patches over the exposed area. This pigmentation, which is usually dry and coarse, is caused due to our skin’s exposure to the UV-A and UV-B rays of sunlight which disturb the skin cell mechanism.
- Genetic inheritance: Usually, in patients who suffer from severe pigmentation have parents or grandparents, who have the same medical condition. In such cases, the treatment becomes far more difficult and time-consuming.
- Reaction to drugs: Intake of drugs which may react adversely with our bodily fluids, causes pigmentation in the form of side effects to occur.
- Use of cosmetics: Use of cosmetics, especially lipstick, over a long period of time, causes the skin color to undergo a change and for pigmentation to appear. This is because cosmetics mainly contain mercury compounds that react adversely with the melanin.
- Oral medication: Mostly birth control pills have an adverse effect on the skin, as they disturb the balance of the body’s hormonal system and results in causing spot pigmentation.
- Albinism: A severe yet common medical condition, albinism, occurs due to the complete absence of melanin in the body. It is believed to be a genetic condition where a uniform light color of skin and hair is seen all over the body.
HyperPigmentation Treatment and Cure
To diagnose skin pigmentation of every kind, a visual examination of the patient is advised and sometimes a Wood’s lamp or black light test which is a dermatological tool to check the skin color of the patient, can be used to diagnose certain skin conditions related to pigmentation. To rule out skin cancer as a possibility, a biopsy may be asked to be done.
Those who have been affected by skin pigmentation disorders to protect themselves from overexposure to sun rays by covering up, using sunscreen and avoiding outdoors when the rays are strongest. To treat hyper pigmentation disorders, skin lightening or skin bleaching agents may be used along with topical creams containing safe levels of hydroquinone or tretinoin and topical steroid creams may be used. Apart from these, several people depend on natural products like the use of sandalwood and papaya or even milk, to get rid of hyper pigmentation.
Words Which used for hyperpigmentation:
post inflammatory hyperpigmentation
what is hyperpigmentation
post inflammatory hyperpigmentation treatment
Treatments which require strict medical vigilance like laser surgeries and dermabrasion are also opting out as safe curing options.