How To Prevent Blood Clots – What Works and What Not?
Most commonly the blood clots are developed in leg veins, and not everyone gets to know about their development in their veins. Medically, such Blood Clots are widely recognized as Deep Vein Thrombosis, i.e., DVT. DVT often found in large veins, pelvis as well as leg veins.
So, first of all, let’s see what Blood Clotting is:
Commonly, when we have a simple cut on our skin, Blood clotting is needed to stop the blood flow. It is because if we lose more amount of blood, that might be life-threatening, especially in case of severe injury caused by accidents, etc. unwanted incidents.
But when blood clots are formed, they are supposed to be developed into the injured/ healing part of the body – not inside the blood vessels o in central veins. Otherwise, such blood clotting might lead towards higher thickness of blood and serious issues might occur. And then you will need immediate medical attention.
In case of cut/ damage or trauma to our body or skin is done and the blood vessel is damaged, our body’s system immediately reacts to it. That activates platelets and tries to stop the bleeding.
Now, what are Platelets? Well, they are tiny particles which lie in the blood from the bone marrow. They help to prevent blood loss by becoming barrier into the further bleeding process. Throughout the Platelets clotting process, there are several types of proteins associated.
Such proteins are Collagen, Thrombin, Von Willebrand factor, etc. They help to form the barrier to the blood flowing through the skin, and this formation of the blood clots is called as Coagulation.
How to Prevent Blood Clots:
Table of Contents
Blood clots can be a severe medical condition and require immediate medical attention and treatment. Read below about How to Prevent Blood Clots and along with that, also get information about what works and what not on Blood Clots:
First of all, let’s get to know about Reasons for Blood Clotting:
Causes of Blood Clots:
- If you have undergone major surgery recently, there is a possibility that blood clotting might take place,
- Those who are older, i.e., people of 65 years or more have the chance of suffering from blood clotting.
- Women consuming birth control hormones, or any other hormones.
- People who have cancer or those who are being treated for cancer have more risk of developing blood clots.
- If you have a broken bone such as Hip, Pelvis, Leg or any other major bone – throughout the treatment duration have the possibility of having blood clots developed into the injured body part. Significant bad bump, the bruise can also be the cause of blood clotting.
- People who recently had a stroke or have been paralyzed then the risk is more.
- Varicose/ Var-e-kos or any other bad veins can also be the reason for developing blood clots.
- Any major issues or condition related to heart might get you into even major trouble other than heart by clotting blood.
- Inheritance: If you do have any family member or blood relative who is suffering from a blood clot issue, then there’s a possibility that you might also get this issue from your inheritance.
- Travellers’ tend to develop blood clotting more often as they have to sit for more extended hours throughout the journey and have minimal legs movement.
- Obesity can also be amongst the major reasons behind blood clotting.
If you come under any of the categories mentioned above of conditions, then you need to check up your body for preventing blood clots. And if you already have blood clotting issue then here are some of the essential tips regarding How to Prevent Blood Clots: How to Prevent Blood Clots:
Prefer wearing loose fitting garments throughout your routine. Also, wear loose-fitting socks or stockings which makes your body feel relaxed. That way it will help your skin and body to explore not only comfortable but also let it breathe and prevents blood clots due to tightening clothes.
2. Compression Stockings
The compression stockings are particular kind of socks which most doctors prescribe to those who have blood clotting history or current issues. These specific type of stockings are going to help you to overcome the problem.
3. Exercise Regularly
Your doctor might already have suggested you some of the exercises which will help your overall body. Through such specific types of activities, your body will be active and fit, and hence no blood clotting issues will arise.
4. Keep Changing Your Position
Whether you are sitting or standing consistently, you need to keep changing your position more often. Especially for those who have long trips more often, need to change their sitting place to keep their body and joints active.
5. Don’t Sit/ Stand Constantly
Most jobs these days are associated with sitting behind the desk and require minimal body movements. Under such conditions, if you too have one of such jobs, then you need to do some physical activity to keep your body active. Sitting or standing constantly will give your body aches and will hurt your physique too – none of these is good for your body.
6. Keep Moving Your Body!
Even when you have to sit or stand continuously, you can keep your body moving. You can engage your calf muscles and also can try squeezing veins, and such activity will help the joints to be active and help to prevent blood clots.
7. Less Salt Consumption
Most commonly everyone loves the salty taste and hence eats salty foods throughout the day. But consuming less salt will help you to prevent blood clots. It will help to thin the blood at the regular thickness and hence there will be no further issues associated with blood clotting.
8. Don’t Use Pillows
Some of us might have the habit of placing pillows under legs, especially knees. But not everyone is aware that it is a bad habit. By using such, it won’t do any good to your legs and its joints. So if you have such habit of placing the extra pillow under your knees, try to get rid of it slowly.
9. Don’t Cross Legs More Often
This is also one of the most common habits which almost everyone has. But by sitting cross-legged, it is damage to your legs and legs joints. So slowly but steadily get rid of this habit too and try sitting in a well adjusted and comfortable sitting position which does not harm the joins of your legs.
10. Stay Active
For making necessary changes into your lifestyle, staying active are an essential one; it is because of the joints of our body. Staying active will help you to stay healthy and will also improve your overall health as well as body.
11. Lose Weight
Obesity is amongst the prime reasons behind blood clothing, hence by healthily losing weight – it will surely offer positive results.
Several studies and researchers have revealed that consuming fish twice/ thrice a week efficiently lowers chances of having blood clotting. Through fish/ fish oil capsules, they have beneficial properties through which blood clotting can be prevented.
13. Advance Treatments:
a. Anticoagulants: It is a medicine which helps to prevent the formation of blood clotting.
b. Thrombolytics: Also a drug which tends to dissolve blood clotting as well as its creation.
c. Thrombectomy: Through this procedure, i.e., surgical removal of the clot – it will help remove the blood clotting.
What Works and What Not:
Easy and Simple Lifestyle Changes To Prevent Blood Clots:
There are small steps towards a healthy lifestyle through which you can prevent blood clots. Most people are under such mentality that only older people come under the possibility of blooding clotting and other similar issues, which is entirely wrong. Not aged persons but also women who are into their childbearing years also come under the possibility of risk of deep vein thrombosis, i.e., DVT.
But with some tiny lifestyle changes, you can switch towards a healthy lifestyle and then such severe health conditions may be prevented before it becomes too vulnerable or untreatable. Read below, list of several lifestyle changes which helps you towards preventing severe blood clotting:
- Keep Moving: Throughout the day, keep your body moving and active in various activities. Whatever sports you like, indoor or outdoor, do it and keep your body busy. Do not go on sitting idle and let your body be lazy.
- More Water: Drink more water. Try and slowly quit smoking. Such bad habits like smoking are amongst reasons for severe medical conditions hence you must get rid of such. Drinking more water will help your body to stay healthy and hydrated. It will lower risks of developing blood clotting formation.
- Pills: If you are consuming birth control pills, get the opinion from several doctors and then only start consuming such medicines which might be leaving some severe after effects as well as side effects on your body.
- Don’t Ignore Symptoms: Before blood clotting formats on major arteries and other major veins, your body plainly shows some of the symptoms before that. Such symptoms include Pain, Swelling, Redness and even discolouration in one leg. Other signs include warmth on the skin in the affected area of your body part. One must not ignore such symptoms. Otherwise, that might result in severe issues.
Additionally, other than drugs mentioned above, below are a few more of such Drugs which prevents blood clotting:
Most common Drugs to Prevent Blood Clots:
- Antiplatelet Drugs
- Oral Drugs:
- Drugs to be Injected:
You might be wondering about these above-mentioned types of medicines and their effects for preventing blood clotting. Well, it is simple. If we don’t go too deeply into doses, then all you need to know is:
- To stop Blood Clots’ Formation: With the help of Antiplatelet drugs, one can prevent the blood clotting formation.
- To enlarge Veins: If you’re looking forward to getting medicines which help to prevent the forming of blood clotting along with expanding of veins/ within the heart, then Anticoagulants are the ones which are right medications for that.
- For Arteries: Those who suffer from blood clotting in arteries need to consume Antiplatelet drugs. It will help especially to those who have symptoms of coronary artery disease – many types of it.
- Oral Anticoagulants: These types of medications are individually for those who are in the treatment for longer durations. It is for preventing Deep Vein Thrombosis along with pulmonary embolism. It takes approximately 48 to 72 hours for this medicine to work efficiently and then you may feel its results by yourself.
- Injected Anticoagulants: For conditions in which you need to control the blood clotting immediately, injected anticoagulants are quite useful. Several disorders including Pulmonary embolism can be treated quickly with such medications. Other than that, such medicines are also useful for those who are undergoing surgery and have tasevere problem of blood clotting. So that throughout the operation there won’t be any blood clotting issue at all.
Important: For any of these medications, you must consult and get further essential information from your doctor before consuming them.