Acne is a very common skin problem seen among most of the individuals. The small pores on the skin are connected to oil-producing glands that are located beneath the skin. The oil glands secrete a substance known as sebum. The skin openings connect to oil glands with the help of a canal called follicle.
The sebum transmits dead cells of the skin to the outward part of the skin. Thus, as the follicle part of the skin clogs up, it leads to the formation of a pimple. Most of these cysts occur on face, neck, chest, back and shoulders. Though acne is not so serious health issue, however it can be a of source scars on the body.
Anti Acne Diet Tips
Table of Contents
Acne can be prevented when certain things are kept in mind and followed strictly. However first it is important to know how it develops before knowing how to cure it.
How acne develops? & Anti Acne Diet Tips
Often the skin hair, the skin cells and sebum clog together into a plug. The swelling or the cyst is caused by the bacteria present inside the plug. Finally when the plug begins to break down it leads to the formation of a pimple. The most type of acne pimples is:
- Whiteheads: They develop and remain under the surface of the skin.
- Blackheads: They rise to the surface of the skin and look like small black pores on skin. The black color is not due to dirt.
- Pustules: These pimples are red at their origin and contain pus at the end.
- Papules: These are tiny pink bumps which occur on the skin and can be very tender.
- Cysts: These are also deep, very painful and pus filled which can cause scarring.
- Nodules: They are large and painful pimples that originate deep within the skin.
A good diet can help one to control and prevent acne. A diet rich in fruits and green vegetables not only helps to control sugar in the body, but it also reduces risk of skin breakouts. A balanced diet also increases the chance of improving skin complexion.
A good dermatologist can determine the perfect diet for your body and prescribe proper remedies. Here is a list of things that one may include in his or her anti acne diet.
- Bilberries: The blueberries are a very rich source of antioxidants that help reduce skin inflammation, one of the main causes of acne. Bilberries may be hard to locate in the market; however they are the best source of antioxidant. Blueberries are easier to find and is the most appropriate substitute for bilberries. Eat a lot of fruits and keep away from desserts.
- Nuts: Nuts are very rich plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids and are said to reduce to inflammation. Theoretically there is no recent study that establishes a concrete relationship between omega-3 and acne, but omega-3s can diminish inflammation around sebaceous glands. They help to shrink the pink swelling that surround a breakout.
- Fish: Fish oils are known to decrease the risk of coronary artery disease as well as fight inflammation. The fish oil is also rich is omega-3 fatty acids which means that the chances to prevent acne are very good. One needs to make sure not to use oil of low-level fish because it contains PCBs and dioxins.
What to avoid?
Milk and dairy products: Milk and its products contain hormones that play an important role in acne. These hormones excite the oil glands and they produce more sebum thus leading to more pimples on skin. Low-fat, cream, cheese and even low-fat skim versions can contribute to acne. A diet change is often required to have a healthy skin condition for long periods.
This is practically correct as far as acne is concerned.